I am a physics graduate with great programming and design skills coupled with international business experience.
Now I am seeking a position leveraging my information technology, business, and communication skills. I can work with people & technical equipment, words & pictures, deadlines & data.
My career to date has been spent working in varied situations, but the common thread is communication. I'm passionate about helping people understand and learn, and conveying technical knowledge in an accessible way.
Programming languages: R, Java, and Python. Source code management with Git. Unit testing. Statistical literacy. Data Science. Big Data operations with AWS and Hadoop. Cloud computing. Presentation and communication skills. Fluent English and Russian. Full UK Driving Licence.
- Tip of the Tongue bot — Coursera Data Science Capstone Project
- I cleaned and analysed raw text dumps into n-gram frequency tables, then wrote a word prediction app using ShinyApps.io and responsive HTML5
- Appy Talk — an app to help children learn vocabulary
- I worked as part of a small team, doing some Java programming as well as automating processing and management of multimedia assets and programmatically generating databases using the R language. I also ensured that all necessary assets were in place for launch on the Play Store.
- Buddhabox — a web store selling hand-crafted jewellery
- I organised a database of universal product codes, developed and documented a process for photographing items consistently, as well as installing and configuring Magento and tweaking the design using SCSS.
- Friends' English School Ufa Website
- I designed, built, and maintained the site, optimising for the local market and using a mobile-first approach.
- Friends' English School
- I co-founded this small English school in Russia, and had a hand in all aspects of the business, including negotiating, working with the public, creating resources and placing students. I also set up an online timetable to keep things organised, as well as helping to ensure compliance with local laws. The school was nominated for ‘best in city’.
- IELTS Tuition
- I have extensive experience of helping students to pass the IELTS (Internation English Language Testing System) exam, and many of my students went on to study or work in the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia.
Technology Director Kornaleks LLC, trading as Your Buddha 2014 — 2015
Founder & Academic Director, Friends' English School, Ufa, Russia ~ August 2012 — June 2015
English Teacher, Language Link, Ufa, Russia
~ June 2007 — July 2012
Administrative Assistant, Department for International Development, East Kilbride, Scotland
~ September 2005 — May 2007
Experimental and Theoretical Physics in the Natural Sciences tripos. Certificates BA(hons), MA(cantab)
Clare College, University of Cambridge
1999 — 2004
Johns Hopkins University on Coursera
May 2015 — February 2016
Modules include R programming, regression modelling, statistical inference, reproducible research, machine learning, and developing data products, while the course concluded with a capstone project. All earned with distinction.
Stanford University on Coursera
Topics included Node.js, Angular, and Devops
Stanford University on Coursera
Topics including public key cryptography, digital signatures, and authentication protocols. December 2012